Saturday, December 21, 2013

Crinkle Taggie Blankie

As a bit of a back story to this post, I bought my son a small crinkle blankie from a seller at our local farmer's market. I loved it because it had small ribbons on it, a different texture on each side, it was nice and small for his little hands, and it made just the right amount of noise when he played with it. Sadly, we lost it when our family went to get sandwiches at our favorite local place =(. I know she has a website from which she sells everything, including her blankies (here), but I decided that instead of buying one I would make one special for my little man.

I had the fabric on hand and purchased about 1/2 yard of each of the ribbons from the local craft store, so this little project really wasn't all that expensive. It did take me forever to find the right material to make it crinkle, but ended up using the big shopping bags that I get from said craft store- I found it had a better sound than anything else I could find. I think cellophane would work well too.

Anyway, on to the project. Here's what you need:

1 10"x10" piece of flannel fabric
1 10"x10" piece of minkee
12"x12" Crinkle material
Assorted ribbon scraps

I liked the size it ended up- you can make this bigger or smaller if you'd like.

First, I positioned and pinned into place all of the ribbons into loops around the flannel piece. I really like having lots of different sizes and textures to explore. If you use a really thin ribbon like I did (the red one), make sure to tie a knot below where you're going to sew so it doesn't easily pull out.


After you pin everything down, sew the ribbons in place. I stitched 1/2" from the edge of the fabric.



I skipped the areas without ribbon and trimmed the threads. Then, layer your blankie as follows:

Flannel with ribbon right side up
Minkie right side down
Crinkle material


Then, sew around the outside with a 5/8" seam allowance, leaving an unstitched space about 3" wide for turning right side out. I found it a lot easier to sew with the crinkle on top. After you stitch, clip the corners and turn it right side out, using a point turner (or I used the tip of my scissors, lol) tp bring the corners out so they look nice and sharp.


I then picked a decorative stitch to use around the perimeter and made sure that I turned the raw edges of the hole in. Then you're done!


How fun is this??? I wrapped it up and put it under the tree as my special gift for my little boy. Maybe there's someone you can make one of these simple gifts for too! They are very easy and I loved making this one. I can't wait until Christmas so he can play with it!


No comments:

Post a Comment